Monday, December 21, 2009

Opportunity

Today was an exhausting but good day.

I woke up this morning when my mom came in to offer me water (I've asked her to wake me up when she gets up throughout the night or in the morning with water because I get SO thirsty, but don't wake up enough to get up to get it--so I just struggle all night with being thirsty). She also warmed up the hot/cold pack for my mouth. It took me a bit of time to fall back asleep, but I eventually did.

I was exhausted when I woke back up 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I wanted so badly to sleep in, but knew I may be hanging out with my stepsister today, and didn't want to sleep through our plans! I got on Facebook to see if she had replied, but she didn't. Unfortunately, I never heard from her. I was a bit bummed, but she also said Wednesday was a possibility. I'm hoping that'll work out. =)

Today I sent a message to the children and women's pastor on Facebook. It was kind of funny the way it happened. I had told Aimee (our IV staff) that since I was leaving IV, I wanted to find a Bible study or something next semester. I had planned to look at the studies offered by my local church. My first thought was to ask Rick, the pastor who does all the college age stuff.

Well, Connie, the womens/childrens pastor, was my middle school guidance counselor. I started writing a message to Rick, asking about what was available at the church. My problem is this: I don't want a college Bible study (I'm trying to transition away from that). At the same time, I don't feel comfortable in a women's study where the youngest woman is 50. I don't know many people in the church besides my friends, and they are all in college. I wanted to find a study that would include people close to my age as well. In the midst of writing it, I changed my mind and decided to ask Connie. Since she is the women's ministry pastor, I figured she'd know more about women's studies. Well, she responded with some ideas. She also said that the best place for me to be on Wednesdays is to help out with KidZone, the children's ministry. What a wonderful idea! I hadn't really thought of that before. I taught Sunday school at my church in Madison, but hadn't really considered it here. Part of me has always felt a bit intimidated at this church. It's a large church and since I don't know many, I feel like I'm not really good enough to be a leader. Well, Connie seems to think I am! So I am going to keep praying about it and see. I asked where she is looking for help. KidsZone is grades K-6. I have no idea what kind of help is needed, so I'm interested in finding out.

I have helped out with an online ministry (IC) for several years (since 2005, I believe). It's been a big part of my life and I've spent hours a week at times. Especially when the pain was bad, it was a great way to serve God. I've lead studies, prayer meetings, and other things. Two friends from that online church and I recently started a new online church (BACC) because IC is closing soon. I was excited about BACC, but had told them that once I started student teaching, I was done. I figured I wouldn't have the time. In the last week, I've felt otherwise--and decided (though I didn't tell my friends) that I was going to stay with BACC through student teaching, even if I could only give an hour a week.

Well, now here comes this new opportunity to serve my church and get connected face to face with people. Suddenly I feel very at peace about leaving these online ministries and seeing where God takes me. I've "left" IC several times, but kept coming back. For once, I feel a peace that I can just walk away from both of these ministries (not abandon, of course.. I will always pray for them). I just don't need to be on leadership and heading things.

It's like God is leading me right where He wants me.. not that I doubted He would... but it's all working out so perfectly.

I don't know for sure yet that I'll be helping with KidsZone, but I am very interested. I do plan to look into women's studies at my church. I had some wonderful friends and mentors at my old church--Kimberly, Laura, Ruth, Rhonda, etc... While I am still friends with them and love them all dearly, it would be nice to have the same kind of relationships here in Brookings.

Student teaching is going to be tough. It's tough for a "normal" student. But to go through it with pain every day is going to be a struggle. I'd love to have a group of women supporting me and praying for me throughout it. I'd also love to be able to serve the church and give back--and working with kids is a perfect way for me to do that!

Wow... this digressed quit a bit. I was going to tell you about my day! When I didn't hear from Marisa (my stepsister), I was a bit bummed and bored. I decided to do some cleaning in my room, which involved some heavy lifting. I worked for over an hour, and my back and shoulders are feeling it now! So sore! Was nice to get done though. I did a LOT of work.

After I got done cleaning, I showered and read a book for a bit. I brought back 9 books from my apartment that I haven't read yet, so I'm excited to catch up on all this reading. I'm thinking about doing this challenge for 2010 that is reading 100 books throughout the year:
http://j-kaye-book-blog.blogspot.com/2009/11/new-2010-reading-challenge-100-reading.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JKayesBookBlog+(J.+Kaye%27s+Book+Blog)&utm_content=Twitter

We'll see if I do or not.. either way, I hope to read a lot more than I did this year.

My brother came home today. I'm so excited for the next several days--I love Christmas!

I'm getting very excited for student teaching. While I'm nervous, I can't wait to get started and get in the classroom! February 1st! =)

Alright I'm off to finish some conversations and do some other things. I just wanted to update you all on my life! =)

No comments: