Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Can't physically handle this!

Today I realized just how great of a toll student teaching is taking on my body.

I knew I was more tired than usual because I am busy all day and into the night.

But today I realized that my body is absolutely screaming at me, telling me to quit because it can't handle this schedule anymore!

Imagine for a moment that I had no other problems aside from my back problems. Even then, student teaching would be more than I could handle.

My back does not do well being on the go from 6:30 am until 9 or 10 pm. Some of that time I am at home, eating supper and relaxing... but a lot of my nights are spent planning. I plan better (easier) if I am sitting up, so I sit up for hours after sitting all day. The last few days my back pain has been just awful... and I don't have anything to take the pain away.

I am standing while I teach at school every day--it starts with recess duty at 10:10 and continues pretty much until 2:10. I do sit down and eat lunch, but then have to run to the bathroom, make last minute copies, or move things around the room for my next lesson. My back is killing me and just begging me to stop.

Then there's my legs/feet... they have gotten NO better, and in fact have been much worse the last few days... all the standing sure isn't helping.

Add in allergy problems and UGH. Physically, I am not handling this semester well at all. I am enjoying teaching, but it's taking every last bit of strength I have just to get through each day. It's hard and frustrating and some days (like today), I just want to curl up in a ball on my bed and sleep the day away.

No comments: